Saturday, July 17, 2010

The 4th and Fireworks

Mac in his red, white, and blue...

Make us proud Sam...spit far!

Loving the view.

A perfect ending to a great day!

I love, love the 4th of July. Just to go ahead and get it out there, of course, I love it because its independence day and I love America and our freedoms. Now, I especially like the fact that on this particular day, one can wear any combination of red, white, and blue and its totally acceptable. And that I did. I would not ordinarily wear a red shirt with my blue seersucker skirt, but, oh, on the 4th I can and did! I also love cook outs, watermelon and fireworks. Most 4ths are spent with family and friends. And my entire family spent the day grilling and swimming at my grandparents on the coast, but since it fell on a Sunday this year, it was spent at home in Monticello for us.

We started the day at church and then had a patriotic "cook out" at Pizza Inn. Instead of swimming in the sun, we napped in the bed. That evening we went to the local park, Cooper's Ferry, for a community-wide 4th event. It was so fun and I was pleasantly surprised at all the festivities. Sam competed in a good, old-fashioned watermelon seed spitting contest but opted out of the watermelon eating contest...We walked around and watched as people played games, kids jumped in bounce houses, others played in the firetruck's water hose. Then we enjoyed some patriotic singing from the community wide church choir. To top off the evening, there was a firework show.

I was a little unsure how the fireworks would go with Mac. It was way past his bedtime, and he usually isn't a fan of very loud noises. And lets just be honest, I was a little skeptical that our small town would even have a good fireworks display to begin with...But once they started, Mac's face lit up. He loved every second of the fireworks and never once flinched. And the town had a wonderful fireworks show. It was much better and longer than I ever expected. It was a great way to celebrate the 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment