Sunday, August 15, 2010

A Heart to Heart

This past Wednesday my grandfather had open heart surgery. By the end of the long endeavor, he had a new valve and 3 by-passes. Since the operation, my family's thoughts, prayers and time have revolved around Papa and his heart. We get text updates, emailed pictures, facebook posts, and phone calls throughout the day informing us of his progress. We are interested in the efficiency of his "new" heart, his oxygen levels, his vital signs, and all the other things that one could be concerned about. He, and we, will and have gone to drastic measures to ensure the good health of his heart.

This has left me wondering...Do I take such drastic measures with my "spiritual heart"??? Do I labor over getting it healthy? Does it consume my thoughts and prayers??? Do I desire each day for the Lord to create in me a new heart? The Lord is showing me that if I approached my spiritual heart with the eagerness and fervor that I do our physical hearts, my life would be drastically different. And better! Thanks for the lesson, Papa!!!

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life."
Psalm 139:23-24


"Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life." Proverbs 4:23



My wonderful grandfather...can't wait til he's back home!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment