Sunday, June 10, 2012

Surprise!!!!!


On May 26 I hit a pretty big milestone...turning 30!  It is still so hard to imagine that my twenties are now gone, probably because I usually think of myself to still be a young twenty-something.  But oh the reality!  I was not, however, loathing the coming of a new decade.  I did decide that I think leaving the twenties behind can be so difficult at times because that decade holds so much growth and change for most people.  I mean, to think that at 20 I was in college, 24 got married, and 27 and 29 I had my boys, all of that with a few moves mixed in.  That is a whole lot of changing, maturing, and new things going on!  But all in all, I LOVE a birthday and this year did not disappoint!

Since we are in Missouri, I was a tad, ok a lot, disappointed that my family wouldn't be around to help celebrate my big day.  Sam did get my birthday week kicked off pretty well for me...3 pound bag of gummy bears, jumbo bag of Twizzlers and a great book :)  Sam's parents happened to be in town visiting over the weekend, so I figured on Saturday night Sam and I would sneak out for a birthday date and leave the kids with his folks.  After a fun-filled day at the "Amazing Pets Show" and lots of fun playing at home, Sam and I headed out to our "mystery" date.  Sam wouldn't reveal his plans, so I was guessing he had planned a night of my favorites.  Well, I was wrong!

On the way out he said a friend from church wanted us to swing by their house to pick up a gift.  I then went into this long dialogue of how Facebook really has changed birthdays because now everyone knows when its your big day, not just really close friends and family.  Once we arrived, we hopped out and I headed in, only to receive the shock of this decade for me...a surprise party!!!!  I couldn't have been more shocked, grateful and just flat out overwhelmed with emotions upon seeing a houseful of friends.  I have to give huge props to my husband.  He doesn't usually go all out on birthdays, but boy did he this year!  I just love him beyond words for that.  And my heart was just bursting with gratitude and happiness at all of the folks that came out to celebrate.  Many, many days have seemed very lonely and difficult since our move to Missouri, and it was just so sweet to see confirmation that people here love us :)

It was a perfect birthday party, one that I will never forget!  I can tell you that the Lord knew I needed that wonderful gift of a surprise! 

Sam and I
 Some of the ladies at the party.  They even put up fun pink streamers and balloons in the backyard!

No comments:

Post a Comment