Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Sink or Swim

The boys both started swimming lessons this week for the very first time.  Drew barely made the age requirement of 3 years :-)  Sam and I were not real sure how things would go...neither like to put their faces in the water.  Drew is a bit more adventurous, and Mac very cautious so we knew we had a 50/50 shot of them loving lessons.  We talked it up big time and talked all about how big boys swim with no floaties.  They bought into it! Mac said "I'm gonna do whatever my teacher says.  Even put my face in the water." and Drew said "I'm gonna do a flip off the diving board!" (perfect demonstration of their personalities!) 

They were so excited to go on the first day and were so proud to line up when their names were called.  They even took the little pre-shower with no problem (which is a big deal!).  Mac soaked up every second and really did do everything his teacher said, including putting his face in.  Drew's teacher started off on the wrong foot by dunking Drew's face in on his first turn.  No "Hi I'm your teacher. What's your name?" or "Do you like to put your face in? Can you blow bubbles?" Just, "time to get in and go under."  Now, although Sam and I both have years and years of experience in teaching lessons and were totally unimpressed with the guy's approach, we decided to just watch and see how the remainder of the first lesson went for Drew before stepping in.  Though Drew cried A LOT after being dunked, his teacher did finally redeem himself and has been great with Drew each day since.  Mac is nearly swimming alone already! And he loves that his teacher "can just save me whenever I need it." 

I can't wait to see their progress when the session is over.  Thank you YMCA of Columbus!

Mac is way on the other side of the pool from where the parents sit so I have a hard time getting a good pic...but there he is waiting for his turn.

Drew loving swimming on the "doodle"

Mac and his teacher are on the far left.  He's probably talking his teacher's ear off :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment