Sunday, March 25, 2012

Bye, Bye, Loochie!

Mac has mastered every big boy skill that is out there, shooting hoops, talking nonstop, going to Awana, working the remote with perfection, and going potty :) But there was one "baby" thing Mac was holding onto, and we were letting him-his loochie (aka pacifier). That is, up until Friday! For all of you with an open gasping mouth, save some air for the rest of us and let me explain...You see, we had long ago banned the loochie from all activity except bedtime, and my master plan was to have the loochie long gone by the time Drew was born. However, he just wasn't ready, and to be real honest, I wasn't either. The transition of bringing home a new baby was quite an adjustment for everyone, Mac included. So we decided to let him keep it for sleeping for a bit longer. Well, you know how that goes, a bit longer turned into months! We just finally decided that it had to end and picked Friday for the day :)

I had an idea, and a pretty darn good one if I do say so myself, to go to Build-A-Bear and treat Mac to a new stuffed animal. The catch is, he had to stuff his loochie into his animal and say "bye, bye" forever. Then, he would have a great new toy to take to bed in place of his loochie. (Now, I must give Elmo credit when credit is due. My mom bought the Elmo DVD "Bye, Bye Pacifier" for Mac months ago to help him get ready to get rid of his loochie. And good ol Elmo did help prep his mind for the day.) We had a great time at Build-A-Bear choosing his animal and then an outfit to go along. We lovingly named his new monkey "Loochie." He was so proud of himself that he is such a big boy. In fact, if you ask him, he will quickly tell you his name is "Mac Big Boy." haha

Now, for the rest of the story that I know you are waiting to hear. Yes, the first couple of nights were a little tough. He cried and asked for his loochie, but by night 3, he was able to lay down and get to sleep without all of the drama :)



A bit overwhelmed by all of the choices...and so was I!

Putting in his loochie, a huge milestone for Mac! I expected him to quickly change his mind and reach back in for it, but he didn't. He just continued on with the process.

Stepping on the pedal, helping stuff his monkey.

After he hugged and kissed the little heart that goes inside, he gave "Loochie" a hug :)

Giving Loochie a blow dry and brush time

Mac kissing his new best friend who is sporting a great-looking NBA basketball uniform, complete with headband and wristbands, and a basketball. Mac easily made the selection of basketball gear.

Having fun! Loochie goes everywhere with Mac ever since we brought him home. You can feel the real loochie in the back of "monkey Loochie's" head.

Full view of our furry new friend.

Just letting ya know that Drew was with us too, proudly sucking his real loochie; I am sure, thankful that he doesn't yet have to give his up :)

Enjoying a big boy lunch with Daddy while sitting in his big boy booster seat.
My, oh, my, my sweet "Baby Mac" is officially baby no more. Where does the time go?!
Way to go Mac Big Boy!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking of asking you about this just this week. I was wondering if Mac still had his. I have been thinking it's got to be now or never, in a sense, for us. I want Jonah to be totally rid of/over it by the time the new baby comes (and gets to have one). He's got a Muppet Babies book called bye-bye pacifier. He requests reading it every night. I don't know if it's sunk in as more than a story yet. We should probably just "bite the bullet" and get it over with.

    ReplyDelete