Friday, May 18, 2012

PePaw's Shadow


While we were in Mississippi, Mac and my dad developed a very strong bond, and Mac quickly became my dad's shadow.  Anywhere my dad went, Mac was no more than two steps behind.  If my dad was on a conference call in his office, Mac would be right at his feet eating "PePaw's cheese crackers"; if dad was working in the garage or outside, Mac was right there joining in the work; and if dad was making one of his frequent trips to "the tool store" (aka Lowe's), Mac was strapped in the truck ready to go!  Since I spent most of my childhood following close on my dad's heels, it was so neat to see him take the same patience and love with my own child and form a special relationship over tools, sawdust and cheetos :) 


Cleaning up the leaves



Piling up the leaves while Mac explores the other yard tools



This was the cutest thing, cutting grass together.  My dad reminded me time and again that with a little extra patience and time, Mac can join in and help with almost any activity.



I am sure that mower has never gone so slow!



 Starting their first building project, a birdhouse. 
Love that look on Mac's face as he is studying my dad.


 Learning how to measure





Pretty much no tool was off limits.  PePaw found a way to make it all safe for Mac.


One proud little boy


Loved some drills!


I know for a fact that is the exact little hammer my hands used to pound on things as a child :)


Practicing with his hammer



Ta-dah! All done



Hanging with a nice coat of paint, waiting for a bird "to fly in the hole, sit on the stick, and say to Mac 'thank you for my house'" (as told by Mac)



 After realizing Mac's obsession for trains and seeing one he has from the Target dollar section, my dad quickly decided a train would be an easy, fun project.  Truly creative stuff right here, that they literally made in an afternoon.  Mac was soooooo proud that he made his very own Thomas.


Putting on the first coat of paint with CeCe.



 Painting away


 All done (thanks to some late night painting by my mom!).  I was quite impressed! (though not a bit surprised)


Playing with the train in the playroom.  He had all sorts of things shoved in the freight cars.



Thanks, PePaw, for making Mac's time fun, memorable,and oh so special!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment